2 large red onions, halved and finely sliced
2tbsp sunflower oil
2 level tbsp brown sugar
100ml red wine or red grape juice
1tsp fresh thyme leaves
3tbsp balsamic vinegar
- In a small pan, cook the red onions in the oil over a low heat for about 15 minutes or until very soft, stirring frequently until done.
- Add the sugar, wine or grape juice, thyme leaves and vinegar.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid is syrupy.
- Cool, then store in a jar in the fridge.