Home Made Mincemeat

Ingredients
  • 1 Bramley Apple
  • 300g Raisins
  • 300g Currants
  • 250g shredded suet
  • 250g muscavado sugar
  • 85g mixed peel, chopped
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • pinch of mixed spice
  • grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 100ml whisky (optional)


Method

  1. Peel and grate the apple and set it aside. Mix all the other ingredients in the order that they appear, except the whisky (if using).
  2. Stir through the apple, then add the whisky (if using) once all the other ingredients are combined.
  3. Pack mincemeat into sterilized jars.
  4. Seal, leave for 2 weeks before using to get the best flavour although can be used immediately. Will keep for 6 months.
Loved this mincemeat, I am not a liker of the whisky so I missed it out, I have added it in as I know it is more traditional that way. I also used it right away without waiting and it tastes fine!!

Hey! I'd love to know if people are using my recipes!! If you are leave a wee comment on the recipes post! Also, why not head back and let me know how you got on!!?

2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Rosie,
Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I may just have to "borrow" it for a post I may be doing in a few days. Hope you don't mind.

I really enjoyed my visit (first time here) and must come back to see more of your delightful recipes. Thanks so much for sharing...

Anonymous said...

If you don't like whisky, try brandy or rum instead. Also successfully used calvados which is French apple brandy - cider with real ATTITUDE!