Crunchy Sponge Squares


Ingredients
Base:
170g digestive biscuits, crushed
85g butter, melted

Topping:
60g butter
1/2 cup of sugar
3/4 cup Self Raising Flour
1 egg
1/4 cup of milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Jam (I used Apricot)

Want to give it a go? Download the .pdf version, easier than writing it out!!

Method
  1. Preheat overn to 180oc and grease and line an 18cm square baking tin.
  2. Mix the butter and digestive biscuits together and press firmly into the base of the tin.
  3. Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until light and fluffy.
  4. Beat in the egg.
  5. Mix in half the flour then half the milk.
  6. Mix in the remaining flour and milk.
  7. Spread the jam across the top of the biscuit base, you can make this as thick as you wish.
  8. Pour the topping mixture over and ensure it is spread evenly.
  9. Place in the oven until firm to the touch and golden. I placed another piece of greaseproof paper over the top with a hole cut in it as my oven tends to burn the top of things. This certainly prevented that happening and also helped stop the cake rising in the middle.
  10. I added a little brown sugar over the top dduring the last 5 minutes of cooking.
  11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then cut into 16 pieces.
I made this as the result of an accidental mis calculation in another recipe (long story) but I ended up with too much biscuit base and didn't want to waste it. I went through the cupboards, saw what I had and, with a vague bakewell recipe in the back of my mind, created this! One thing to note, due to the type of base it is very crumbly so you may want to make sure that it is cooled sufficiently before trying to cut. Having said that, they are tasting great a little warm..
They smell great too, sitting by me while I type this mmmmmmmm!!
Hey! I'd love to know if people are using my recipes!! If you are leave a wee comment on the recipes post! Also, why not head back and let me know how you got on!!?

No comments: