225g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs, large
100g softened butter
1 tblsp lemon juice
250g castor sugar
250 ml milk
Butter Icing Filling:
215g icing sugar
100g soft butter
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. Grease and line a round cake tin, 22 cm, deep, cake tin.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk. Put the butter and half the sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the rest of the sugar. SIft the flour, soda and cocoa powder together.
- Beat in half the milk and fold in half the flour. Add the rest of the milk and then the rest of the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tina nd bake for one hour. Remove fromt he oven and cool completely.
- Cream together the icing sugar and butter. If you want you can add vanilla essence or another flavouring to the icing.
- When the cake is cool cut in half and spread the icing over one half. Replace the top. Sprinkle some ising sugar over the cake to decorate.
We actually found that this particular cake tasted better the second day, it seemed to appreciate some breathing time. But it was great on the day, I cheated a wee bit and put the icing on before the cake had completely cooled so we had a nice warm chocolate cake...
Hey! I'd love to know if people are using my recipes!! If you are leave a wee comment on the recipes post! Also, why not head back and let me know how you got on!!?